Highline College Library - the building is closed until further notice, but staff are working remotely to support you. See our Updates and Resources page >
Information Literacy is:
"Visual literacy is a set of abilities that enables an individual to effectively find, interpret, evaluate, use, and create images and visual media."
In an interdisciplinary, higher education environment, a visually literate individual is able to:
• Determine the nature and extent of the visual materials needed
• Find and access needed images and visual media effectively and efficiently
• Interpret and analyze the meanings of images and visual media
• Evaluate images and their sources
• Use images and visual media effectively
• Design and create meaningful images and visual media
• Understand many of the ethical, legal, social, and economic issues surrounding the creation and use of images and visual media, and access and use visual materials ethically
ACRL Visual Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL)
Ask a Librarian!
We're here to help with library and research questions!
Monday - Thursday: 9am-7pm
If you need help from a librarian when a Highline College Librarian isn't available, please use the 24/7 chat service.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.