Skip to main content
Highline College Library - the building is closed until further notice, but staff are working remotely to support you. See our Updates and Resources page >
Searching the Web
Search Engine Tips (like Google)
use site:edu as a way of limiting searching to sites with an edu domain.
- "english as a second language" “culturally responsive teaching" site:edu
- multilevel classes ESL site:gov
- multilevel classes ESL site:edu
Academic Search Complete (EBSCO)
A scholarly, full-text database, with more than 8,500 full-text periodicals, including more than 7,300 peer-reviewed journals. Covers virtually every academic subject.
ProQuest contains full-text articles from over 5,000 magazines, journals, and newspapers. It is a collection of databases including Research Library, Family Health, ABI/Inform Trade & Industry, and U.S. Newsstream.
Science Direct (Elsevier)
Search for articles from 1200 Health & Life Sciences journals, 500 Physical Sciences journals, and 750 Social & Behavioral Science journals. Multidisciplinary database.
ERIC, the Education Resource Information Center, provides access to education literature and resources. The database contains more than 1.3 million records and provides access to information from journals included in the Current Index of Journals in Education and Resources in Education Index. Interlibrary loan is available for journals and documents that HC library does not own. Ask a librarian for assistance.
Keywords are the key (no pun intended) in finding relevant results.
In researching you can try a variety of keywords and combinations:
As an example, for ESL and Active Learning Techniques, you can try :
- “English language -- Study & teaching” AND “active learning”
- “Second Language learning” AND “active learning”
- ESL AND “active learning”
- “English as a Second Language” AND “student engagement”
For feedback to ESL students you can try:
- "english as a second language" AND feedback AND adults
- Second Language learning” AND feedback AND "adult students"
For "cohesion among levels" you can try: